Friday, July 25, 2008

Piggy or Sardines?

Sardine Packer!


More than a century ago, our forefathers (well, most of them) were packed off from Mainland China and sold to this part of the world known as Nanyang 南洋 as cheap labourer. Most of them were sent to tin mines or to the rubber plantations. These poor souls are called piggy 猪仔. Why? It is said that their living condition is so appalling during their journey here by junks, it is just like a pig sty; thus they are living just like pigs! Human trafficking seems like a legal trade back then.

Well, fast forward to the 21st century. Certainly these piggy trading are now extinct but the way they suffer in their travelling seems to have evolved. No more by sea but their descendants are now packed-off into trains like sardines! I have the opportunity to be one today when I board the much-talked about mode of transport; the KTM Kommuter!

My ride by Kommuter started from KL Sentral to Mid Valley for some biz matters. Going there is ok, the train is pretty sharp on time. Hell begins when I board the tin can back to Sentral. Passengers were full to the brim it's a wonder the train captain can manage to close the doors. Well, it took him 3 attempts to finally close it. Mid Valley is just one station away from my destination but it seems like forever and time stood still. The air cond seems not cool enough as the cabin is so stuffy and body odour from sweaty people is free for all to enjoy. No one seems to need to hold on to the hand-rails when the train moves. We were really packed like sardines and it's a miracle that no one fainted! I swear I will if I need to be in the cabin for another minute.

Luckily for me, my rides ends at Sentral. I was the first to jump off. What a big relief! I really pity those who needs to travel everyday by the Kommuter. The relevant authority really needs to look into the service time and the condition of the train. With more people opting for public transport, an improvement is a must.

Piggy or sardine? Your call, mate!

0 comments: