Monday, July 14, 2008

My terrible itch!

I had something like this!

Yesterday night was hell for me! The Urticaria was killing me! I have hives developing all over me and I'm like a monkey; scratching myself to provide temporary relief from the itch. URGH! I was hesitating to see the doctor as I was trying not to have medicine; unless really necessary. And necessary it was. Just can't tahan anymore. Can't sleep, can't sit...hell! I can't even play Ben 10 on the PSP properly without my fingers scratching all over my body. So a visit to the clinic downstairs is a MUST!

After much hesitation, I was there, waiting for my name to be called by the attendant. After a short chat with the doc, it was confirmed with what I've read from the net regarding Urticaria/hive. Basically, there's no known cause for this attack. What triggers it is still a big question mark for most victims; but luckily, no serious health hazard apart from serious scratching and red marks/bumps that will go away; eventually. Hmmm... eventually.

From the net, it's stated that basically everything or anything can trigger the hives. Common source is food; items like seafood, shellfish, nuts and the list goes on. Other factors like clothing can do some harm too, especially tight clothing or latex. Latex? How about condom? Hahaha! Then, weather can play a part too. Too cold, too hot.... So the doctor asked me a few questions in order to help me to isolate potential cause. Told him that I used to have reaction when I eat prawns, but it's only sometimes. Never had issues with nuts, attire or the weather. But for these few days, I suspect nuts being the culprit because the attacks become serious when I had red bean soup, toufu or almond biscuit.

Doc asked me to be careful with my diet; but his last advise to me rings true. He told me that I can't be too careful with everything or else I've got to stop eating, stop going out, be naked! Anyway, he prescribed some medicines to me after I refused to take a jab.

RM50 bought me some anti-itch pills, anti-allergic & a sleeping pill to make me sleep better. Got some anthistamine too to combat the hives. I took all of it promptly except the sleeping pill. Slept like a baby all night long! So for now, I'm a OK, apart from feeling a lil' bit groggy.

A well spent RM50, as the most important item it bought me is a good night sleep and a well deserved relief.






0 comments: